Jesus is the Son of God
Outline: Dialogue with a Muslim. There is only one God. God revealed Himself in 3 ways - Creator, Word and Spirit. What Jesus did. Few-sentence summary of His life. Jesus made the sacrifice for our sins.
|Theme:||Sacrifice/Atonement; Peace with God; Life of Christ; Nature, character of God; Cleanse, purify; Son of God|
Scripts are basic guidelines for translation and recording into other languages. They should be adapted as necessary to make them understandable and relevant for each different culture and language. Some terms and concepts used may need more explanation or even be replaced or omitted completely.
1. How are you my friend?
2. Fine, thank you. How are you? It is good to have met you as I have been looking for you.
1. Good. Have you something you want to ask me?
2. Well, the thing is all about the Bible and Quran, their similarities and differences. The Quran tells us that there is only one God and no other God besides Him. The Bible says that there are three gods, one of whom you call the Father, whose wife is Mary, who bore another god called Jesus. You also call him the Son of God.
Friend, I cannot believe or accept that God can marry and have a child. It is the greatest blasphemy that a man can utter. This is what deeply concerns me.
1. I can see now why you are troubled. It is clear that you have not been taught what we really believe, because I would never agree with the things you have mentioned. First, we believe as you do that there is only one God. In the Taurat we find the Ten Commandments, God's law. The first one says, "You shall have no other gods except the one true God." To pray to false gods is a serious sin. Again in the Injil of Jesus the Messiah, He says, "Hear, oh Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one." So we believe absolutely that there is only one true God. The thought of God marrying is also completely against our beliefs.
2. Well, then how do we get this idea that Christians believe in three gods?
1. My friend, we do not have three gods, but the Holy Book of God shows us that this one God reveals Himself in three ways. We believe God reveals Himself as Creator, Word and Spirit. We would say Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Of course God is a mystery and no human mind can completely and fully understand Him. He has always existed in these three ways and doesn't change from one to another. He is always the same.
It is like the man who is a merchant, a tailor and a driver. It is the same man who sells, sews and drives. He cannot change but is the same person. Again it is like the sun in the sky. The same sun gives light and warmth. Is the sunlight different from the sun or the heat different?
2. No, there is not any difference; they are the same.
1. Examples are always imperfect, especially when speaking of the great and wonderful God. But it may give you an idea of what we believe. That God is ONE.
2. One thing still puzzles me. Why is Jesus called the Son of God?
1. When we say Son of God we are not saying that God physically began a child. We mean it in a spiritual sense. The Holy Book of God says that the Word became a human being and lived among us. He came from God. He had no human father. He lived among men for 33 years and in that time did not sin but was completely obedient to God, Whom He called Father. Then He gave His life as a sacrifice for the sins of all people, and showed people the love and mercy of God. After three days, He arose from the dead, and later returned to His home in heaven.
So we do not believe in three gods, but in ONE GOD Who has revealed Himself in three ways: as God the Father Who is the Creator, and the Son Who is the Word of God, and finally the Spirit of God. It is by the Holy Spirit of God that He can enter our hearts. When we open the door of our hearts to Him, He enters, and our hearts are cleansed and filled with peace because Jesus has made the sacrifice for our sins.