The Heart of Man (dialogue)
Outline: Market scene. List of sins. God knows the evil in our heart. Jesus can cleanse us and make our heart new.
|Theme:||Sacrifice/Atonement; Deliverance; Leaving old way, begin new way; Sin, disobedience; Forgiveness; Hell; Honor God; Cleanse, purify; Son of God; Heart, soul of man; Punishment for guilt; People of God|
Scripts are basic guidelines for translation and recording into other languages. They should be adapted as necessary to make them understandable and relevant for each different culture and language. Some terms and concepts used may need more explanation or even be replaced or omitted completely.
1. Oh, there are many people in the market today. (Pause 3 sec.)
2. Yes, there are people from many places! (Name local tribes)
1. Oh, I see my uncle who lives very far away! (Or my friend)
2. Is that so!
1. Yes, he is a very important man.
2. I see that he has much to trade (sell) today. (or he has many horses, or much corn).
1. Yes, he will get much money today.
2. Is your uncle a good man? (good character?)
1. Yes, he does many good things.
2. You say he does many good things, but do you know his heart?
1. My, who can know a man's heart?
2. There is One Who knows the hearts of all people. He sees all they do. He knows the thoughts of all people.
1. Who is this...that knows everything?
2. He is God.
1. Ah, yes, you are right.
2. At the time a man steals something, he hides it. He thinks, "No one sees me." But God sees him. At the time a man lies, he thinks "No one knows it is a lie." But God knows. He knows the hearts of all people (because He made us). God says that they (we) are all full of sin. (If the following list of sins has been used in Noah or any other script, omit it here.) God says we must give honor (greatness) to Him alone, but people are honoring many others. They lie and deceive. They kill. They steal. They commit adultery. They shed blood (make sacrifices) and honor things that are not God. They drink (beer). They sing bad songs. They make bad medicine. They do pagan worship (use local phrase). They curse. They do sorcery. They get angry. They have soul eaters. They wear charms. They have funeral rites (pagan). They have secret societies. (Make these fit the local practices with great discretion.) They fight and do many other bad things. God sees all the sins we do and His anger is great against them. People know that God is, and that He created all things. They know that He is good and He hates evil. Nevertheless (They know, but) many refuse to turn to Him.
1. What will God do to us because of the bad things we do?
2. God's anger is great against evil. He says, "Those who do evil will be punished (get punishment, or, God will let their evil take them)." When they die they will go immediately to the place of fire. They will stay there forever. It is a place of great suffering.
1. Oh, I am afraid, because God knows the sin in my heart!
2. Yes, the hearts of all people are alike (the same). (Name some tribes as above) All people everywhere have evil in their hearts.
1. Is there anything I can do to be freed from (take away) God's anger? Can I take away my sins?
2. There is nothing we ourselves can do to take the sin from our hearts. But God has sent us Someone Who can change (cleanse) us. This one is Jesus, God's only Son. He is God's gift to us. He can save you from your punishment. (He became the sacrifice that can cleanse our win away). He shed His own blood for us. His blood can wash our sins away. He can make your heart new and make you (your character) good. Then God's anger will turn away from you. Jesus Christ alone can save you. If you want Him to do this, ask Him to cleanse your heart. Leave all your evil ways, and follow Him with one mind (heart). Follow Jesus only. No one else can help you.